Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Death of a reader

I know its been a while since my last poorly punctuated post(I did make some corrections to it),and I am really sorry for it(I also have to stop this bad habit of starting each of my posts with an apology).For the past few weeks I have been searching for a good topic for my next post,and I had decided to do a series of posts about reality,the movies that dealt with it,How i perceived it and so on.I was even about to write a post about television and how it has drastically changed our way of looking at things.Then something happened,I decided to visit my college library after a long time.Well I should have seen it coming,I didn't feel the bliss that I always enjoyed when I am surrounded by books,I told my self it's just because of the big breakfast,but I knew inside I was broken.There I was passing through the catalogue and then I found myself asking "what can this book do for me?",the old sarath would have cried herecy,he read because of pure love for the stories.All those years of self help books and movies has finally gotten to me,it has broken me and I am not sure if I will be whole again.

Movies are a much easier medium to enjoy,its like feeding on regurgitated food,all the thinking is already done for you by the director and actors,you dont have to imagine the faces of the characters ,you dont have to imagine their voices,its already there in front of you.But it is never truly as satisfying as the books.

Books has always been a part of my life,I have spent a major share of my hard earned money(Read pocket money)for books,they have been always there for me.One of my greatest pleasures in life is hunting for second hand books,searching through dusty shelves,going through old boxes,never knowing what treasures you will find(or crap,most of the time it's crap).One of the most exciting thing about the hunt is the fact that usually the shop owner has no idea what he has got.Sometimes I spend hours at a time and not even find a single book that is of value and sometime you emerge with rarest books.

Some of the most remarkable finds for me are the books with some messages scribbled in it.A message that has been set adrift through time,a private conversation with a person long gone.what did he/she think when they wrote it?.

When you spend most of your time watching movies or reading or just being alone,you slowly start loosing grip with reality.Every other person just becomes another image or sound,you feel distant, like you are not a part of it,you are just a spectator.But some how these messages reassures me that there is a real world out there, filled with real people. People who cared about others, people who had something to say. These messages gives me an opportunity to glimpse into another man's soul.

I believe every man is by nature a voyeur,because he likes to be reassured that there is life outside his own,that other people also have pain,anger and happiness, in the end that is why we watch movies or Tv or read books or blogs or other people's journal to be reassured that we are not alone.

1 comment:

  1. So, the reader/book-hunter has not really died, has he? He cannot, right? There are too many mediocre things in life, and reading books and getting transported is perhaps one of the only extraordinary pleasures left. I am sure you know this. By the way, if you care about my opinion, you should not stop writing, just because you think you ramble. Some of the most beautiful sentences come out of some of the wildest rambles.

    ReplyDelete